Thursday, July 26, 2012

Charting a course for Blue Hill, Me.

After those wonderful lobster at Swan's Island, we decided to head northward to the mainland for Blue Hill .
The only time Daivd and I have true disagreements is when it comes time to decide WHEN to leave the safe harbor to venture out into the bigger bays. Fog is prevalent some early mornings and usually will burn off by 10 -12noon although it can stick around all day if conditions are right. I prefer not to encounter fog at all when underway, which is unrealistic. David knows it will be there sometimes and really doesn't worry about it much. So, we usually compromise and go later than he would like and earlier than I would like, and it all works out somehow.
We sailed through Toothacker Bay to Jericho Bay and decided that we did not have to pass thru Merchant Row to the east, but could continue northward and sail through the narrow pass into Blue Hill Bay. Then it would be a nice "reach" up to the top of the Bay and to the town of Blue Hill.

We had motor sailed under heavy wind of 14-20 knots of breeze until we turned up Blue Hill bay where we found a little protection and  had a spectacular sail the last 2-3 hours of the trip! We tacked and sailed all the way to the tricky narrow entrance where we dropped sail and contacted the Kolledgewidgwok Yacht Club. They replied with "This is K.Y.C.". We were relieved we didn't have to pronounce that name on a regular basis! The summer worker came out on the launch boat and directed us to a mooring which we could use for 3 nights. He said usually that is the limit but when the time comes if we wanted to stay longer it might work out as cruisers are not cruising as much as in past years.

The  Penobscot Indian word "Kolledgewidgwok " is said to mean "blue hill on shining green water" or "brackish water coming in and out" referring to the Blue Hill falls which is a narrow inlet with water that rips through sportily with the tides mingling the salty Bay water with the fresh stream water. There is a small bridge for cars to pass over. So whatever the meaning the Blue is definitely in the coloring of the hill.

Our guide book mentions that the town dock where one can tie up a small dinghy to go ashore dries out 2 hours before and after low tide, but we found we only needed to leave 1 hour on either side to be able tomotor back to our mooring. One can tie up at KYC and walk but it is about a 1.7 mile walk on the side of the road. Next visit we will explore another dock that seems to have a more scenic walk into town of about half a mile.
We loved the town with its old fashioned grocery which had everything imaginable! Blue Hill has (as all towns in Maine) a great library, a few high quality art galleries and classical music regularly at the town hall and in the 2 local churches. The town is known for its arts focus.
We enjoyed a fantastic gourmet dinner at the "Arborvine" just a short walk from the town float. Beautiful Swordfish and Halibut in a candlelight setting.
Black Dinah Chocolatiers also has a new second outlet location on Main Street in Blue Hill ( remember Kate makes the chocolates on Isle au Haut) where I saw Kate's husband training a clerk. Kate has also started marketing her homemade icecream and sorbets there ! They were closed after our dinner at the Arborvine, but we will stop there next time in town.
It had been a gray, cool day but we had a nice peachy sky on our dinghy ride home from the town float after dinner.
There was plenty of activity at the Yacht Club. Junior sailors learning to row, and older ones sailing. We even saw 3 adults at 6pm one night sitting on the porch in the rocking chairs being taught by 2 college students how to come about on a small day sailing boat.
We had one morning of that fog stuff I was telling you about. Seen from our boat looking out to the Bay.

And we really enjoyed the homemade egg sandwiches at the Blue Hill Co-Op where we loaded up on great fresh produce and organic meats.
We met  a nice couple named Rick and Barbara Seegers on their boat "Cara" moored near the town float. We asked them about moorings in the inner harbor, and they pointed out a place to anchor (though it looked mighty small and had several moored boats there) and offered their second mooring to us when their friend moved to his newly set mooring ball. We plan to give them a call next time in town to perhaps take them up on the offer. Nice folks who live just a door or 2 down in one of the gray houses on the inner harbor.

Sadly, it was in Blue Hill that I learned of the illness of a dear friend, Virginia Rounds. She died July 20 th in Tallahassee. She was a special lady.


No comments:

Post a Comment